Sunday, April 1, 2012

Summer Smooches and Cardmaking tip

Summer Smooches is HERE.  Enroll in classes on my website. www.kathyswanson.stampinup.net


The Mystery of the Hand Stamped Card?
Many of us rely on our Demonstrator to cut and prep our projects, then when we try it on our own, we are stumped!  Well, I am here to take some of that mystery out of the equation.  Grab you paper cutter and play along......

Take a 81/2 X 11 piece of cardstock.......cut it in half.  You can cut either way, but I find the 5 1/2 inch cut,  the most common and you can open your card like a book as the one pictured here, or turn the card to open from the bottom.  So now you have 2 pieces, each 5 1/2 by 8 1/2.  Score at 4 1/4 and fold in half.  2 card bases, Woo Hoo!!

Now for the layers.  The Solid layer or mat can be cut to cover the entire card base, or 1/4 inch smaller to create a frame.  I opted to cover my card, so My Island Indigo mat is 4 1/4 X 41/4. Notice the white space left at the bottom to stamp the sentiment.  The best way to make your Designer Series paper go the extra mile is to cut it in 4X4 squares. You will get 9 squares from one sheet of paper!!

Now take that 4X4 Designer Series paper and cut it into 3 pieces.  I cut mine at 1 1/4 inches, leaving a 1/4 inch scrap.  By doing this the three pieces will leave a bit of Island Indigo peeking thru and a frame of color around the designer paper.  For the rounded corners, I inserted the edge of my paper into the 1 1/4 circle punch.  Before you try this, it is not the usual way to punch!!  Hold your punch upside down so you can see the inner works.  Insert your paper into this view, barely catching the edge of the paper.  Punch and wa la a rounded piece of paper!  I will take a picture and post later showing this as I know a picture is worth lots!

Now for the focal point.  Pick you focal stamp and measure it!!  Yes that is the trick, place the stamp on your cutter and determine how big you paper needs to be to accomodate the image.  I believe mine is 1 1/2 inches wide by 2 inches high.  My Daffodil Delight mat is 1 3/4 X 2 1/4. Once again 1/4 inch difference to give you that framed effect.

Visit my website to order all these Summer Smooches Products.  Coming soon, the Petite Purse tips and tricks!


No comments:

Post a Comment